This Teach Along is now completed. You can register to find out when it is next run here.
Read on to learn more!
I want to help you make a difference.
There are a whole bunch of people out of work right now and households are doing it tough. There are also a whole bunch of students who need help to get on their reading journey. If you are one of the teachers or educators looking at your bills piling up and thinking that you could make a real difference to the life of children, then I am here to help.
I first started tutoring in 2006 and have been tutoring online for the past year. One of the things that I have discovered is that tutoring successfully is about more than just creating flash cards and doing some reading with students. It is a huge responsibility to look a child (and their parents in the eye) and let them know that everything is going to be ok now. When you tutor, you have to get results. It’s your one job. If a parent is going to spend their hard earned money you need to be able to make growth happen.
I know how to do this and want to share what I know with you. Ordinarily I would plan a Teach Along months in advance, but I know that you don’t might not have months to wait. I know that you have bills to pay now. So I am acting quickly to offer and start my Become a Tutor that Gets Results Teach Along on Tuesday April 14, 2020.
I’m a Teacher Already, Why Would I do this Teach Along?
Tutoring is different from classroom teaching in many ways. Even the most experienced classroom teacher can find it daunting to design learning for a struggling reader. After all, virtually none of us have been taught about evidence based practice at university and few of us have been properly trained to support those who struggle. Participating in this Teach Along will help you embark on your tutoring work with the confidence that you need to have to make a real difference to children.
Part of this Teach Along includes the opportunity to video yourself working with a student and receiving personalised feedback and coaching from me. You do not have to wonder if you are working in an effective way. You will know!
I am Not a Classroom Teacher. Can I do the Teach Along?
The answer is yes! If you are currently working with children in an educational setting or are the parent of a struggling reader you can benefit from this Teach Along. It is important to know your boundaries in terms of supporting students, however once you understand the fundamentals of reading science, the alphabetic code and how to pace and monitor learning you CAN make a difference to children, particularly your own!
This Teach Along will cover:
- The science of reading including how the brain works
- Fundamentals of reading instruction including the alphabetic code and how to teach it
- Understanding the power of the explicit teaching model
- Possible causes of reading difficulty and how to target support
- The emotional toll of a reading difficulty and how to support it
- Managing the resistant student
- Conducting the initial assessments
- Creating a learning plan that maximises success
- Teaching face to face in a small group and one on one tutoring situation
- Teaching online in small groups and one on one
- Monitoring progress
- Pricing your sessions and selling your service
- Working with families
- Creating a profitable enterprise and making sure you get paid
The Becoming a Tutor that Gets Results Teach Along includes:
- Sessions covering all of the above
- Diagnostic phonics assessment
- Diagnostic Phonological and Phonemic Awareness assessment
- Learning plan template
- Lesson plans
- Phonics Teaching PowerPoints
- Phonemic awareness Teaching Powerpoint
- Decodable texts (and links for more)
- Opportunity for personalised feedback and coaching on your tutoring work
- Access to a closed Facebook page for you receive ongoing support
What is a Teach Along?
A Teach Along is a series of online sessions that deliver practical, actionable strategies to you a little bit at a time. We know that professional learning is largely wasted unless you can implement what you have learnt straight away. A Teach Along allows you to do just that. Features of a Teach Along are:
- 3 x 2 hr online sessions delivered in real time, plus one prerecorded introductory video Sessions will be run the week of 13th April, 2020.
Introduction Available – Tuesday April 14th 2020
Live Session 1 – Wednesday April 15th, 2020
Live Session 2 – Thursday April 16th, 2020
Live Session 3 – Friday April 17th, 2020
- 30 minutes small group coaching session (upgrade for a one on one coaching and feedback session)
- All sessions are recorded for you to watch at a time convenient for you (if you can’t make a live session) and you retain access to the recordings after the Teach Along ends.
- Downloadable resources to support your teaching including assessments, lesson plans and learning resources.
- Online collaboration space where you can ask questions and share ideas with other teachers who understand your journey.
Why Choose a Teach Along over traditional professional learning?
– Value for money – $150 for 7 hours of content and a 30 minute group coaching session.
– Ongoing Support when the Teach Along finishes
– Information presented in manageable chunks
– The Teach Along will be delivered in the week of April 13th so that you will be ready to go into action by the time that Term 2 starts.
– All sessions are recorded enabling you to re-watch them at any time
– $330 for 7 hours of content and a 30 minute group coaching session
– No ongoing support
– Information presented all at once with the risk that you never implement what you have learned.
– Experience the content once without the opportunity to revisit the presentation
We need to move fast to get you up-skilled and ready to go, so don’t wait to book your place. Click the link below to secure your place and get working.