It is never too late to support the struggling readers in your class. The Supporting Struggling Readers Teach Along will give you practical strategies, reliable information and simple tools to help you make a big difference.
Right now in Australia there are thousands of children struggling to learn to read. The reasons for this struggle are many and varied. As a teacher, it can be frustrating and downright heartbreaking to watch children try so hard to improve their reading and then make no or minimal growth. Like you, I became a teacher to make a difference to children’s lives and I want the very best for every student I encounter.
It is likely that you were never taught about the science of reading at university and also likely that your time as a teacher hasn’t helped you understand how to support those students who are the most vulnerable in your class. I want to help equip you with the knowledge, skills and tools to make a difference where it counts the most. But don’t worry. I’m not going to suggest a bunch of unrealistic solutions invented by a person who hasn’t taught a day in a real classroom.
What is a Teach Along?
A Teach Along is a series of online sessions that deliver practical, actionable strategies to you a little bit at a time. We know that professional learning is largely wasted unless you can implement what you have learnt straight away. A Teach Along allows you to do just that. Features of a Teach Along are:
- 6 x 1 hr online sessions (3 Live session, 3 fully flexible)
- All live sessions are recorded for you to watch at a time convenient to you (if you can’t make a live session) and you retain access to the recordings after the Teach Along ends.
- Downloadable resources to support your teaching.
- Online collaboration space where you can ask questions and share ideas with other teachers who understand your circumstances.
When is this Teach Along Running?
The Supporting Struggling Readers Teach Along begins on Tuesday, October 6th, 2020.
Week 1 – Introduction (Live Session)
Week 2 – Causes and impacts of Reading Difficulty, Response to Intervention
Week 3 – Cognitive load and supporting memory (Live Session)
Week 4 – Diagnostic Assessment. Data driven plans.
Week 5 – Implementing intervention – phonemic awareness (Live Session)
Week 6 – Implementing Intervention – phonics and text level reading (Live Session)
Why Choose a Teach Along over traditional professional learning?
– Value for money – $79 for 6 hours of content.
– Ongoing Support for 6 weeks
– Information presented in manageable chunks allowing you to learn a little and then teach a little.
– Live session hours are outside of school so there is no need to take a day out of the classroom
– All sessions are recorded enabling you to re-watch them at any time
– $220 for 6 hours of content
– No ongoing support
– Information presented all at once with the risk that you never implement what you have learned.
– Relief teacher needs to be found and paid for to enable teachers to attend
– Experience the content once without the opportunity to revisit the presentation
What others have said
What to expect when you join a Teach Along
- Access to credible, sensible, real life information and strategies.
- A time commitment of 1 hour per week to participate in the live session or watch the video replay.
- You will get the most out of the Teach Along if you try and implement what you learn within a few weeks of learning it.
- You will be joining a community of teachers just like you who you can share with, ask questions of and who can become part of your teaching network if you choose.
- You will improve your online collaboration skills as you attend live sessions and collaborate with others.
What will you learn in this Teach Along?
- Simple view of reading
- Possible causes of reading difficulty
- The Response to Intervention model
- Using data to identify and support struggling readers
- The role of phonological and phonemic awareness
- Conducting phonological and phonemic awareness intervention
- Designing a data driven reading support program
- Cognitive load theory and how to use this to support students
- Structure of an intervention session including teaching script
- Working with parents (including scripts for different scenarios)
- Supporting students through online platforms
Ready to make a difference to the struggling readers in your class?
Please note that prices are listed in Australian Dollars.